Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Kitchen Adventures: Pumpkin Corn Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping

Yesterday I played with some pumpkin in my kitchen. I remembered an old Autumn favorite of mine years ago when I was living in Washington and not so careful about kashrus out of the house. There
was a cafe that served pumpkin spice chai lattes that were simply decadent. So I opened a can of pumpkin puree, scooped a heaping spoonful into a pot and added some chai tea concentrate, rice milk and pumpkin pie spice, heated it up and used a whisk to make it nice a frothy. Voila! It was scrumptious! Now, all I needed was an amazing gluten free muffin to go with it! And, I had this can of pumpkin sans one heaping spoonful to contend with...

...And thus came about the inspiration for my newest crazy kitchen concoction. I looked up recipes for gluten free pumpkin muffins and pumpkin breads and liked some of them but not enough to adhere to only one. Finally, I decided to try my hand at building my own recipe and the results were a tasty success even my husband enjoyed! They were great right out of the oven, and, if I do say so myself, just as delicious reheated a bit alongside a cup of coffee.

Pumpkin Corn Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping
This recipe is gluten free and pareve. You could also substitute regular flour and butter if you want the gluten-full and/or diary version.
Ingredients:

      Muffins

  • 1 medium sized ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 can (15oz) pure pumpkin puree
  • 2 TBSP molasses
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
             Streusel Topping


  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 cup margarine, melted
  • 1/8 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup crushed pecans
Yeild: 1 dozen muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and prepare a muffin tin with liners or spray. I used my kitchen aid to mix ingredients for the muffins. Spoon into liners until about 3/4 of the way full. Melt your margarine and mix streusel ingredients together (I did this by hand) and crumble a bit on top of each muffin. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Enjoy, share with a loved one and enjoy some more!



No comments:

Post a Comment