Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Teeny Tiny Taste of Torah


I have enjoyed welcoming Shabbat back into my weekly routine lately. In my absence from this ritual of practice, I had forgotten how much peace and joy observing this gift has brought me in the past. It is said that Shabbat is like an island. I feel this to be true. Whether I am enjoying this time with friends and members of my Jewish community or having a restful time at home, as soon as I light the candles, I feel within me a separation from all of the "weekday stuff" and an opening of my being to receive a time of intentional rest, prayer, and connection with God and with friends.
In my excitement for spending this coming Shabbat with close friends, I decided to go to my favorite Jewish website and do some reading on this week's Torah
portion. In the Hebrew month of Elul, it is customary that Jews start to think about the upcoming holidays. It is nearly Rosh Hashannah (the Jewish New Year) and then Yom Kippur (a day of atonement). It is during these times that we are encouraged to think about the last year, the things we have accomplished, the things we'd like to work toward, and self-improvement.
This week's Parshah, Ki Teitzei talks a lot about Jewish laws. Out of 613 mitzvot (commandments), 74 are mentioned in this portion alone. Although such details usually go over my head, one mitzvah really stood out to me: if you find a nest with a mother bird and her eggs, you may not take the eggs unless you first release the mother. The idea is that it is too painful for any mother to watch her children be harmed. I'm not on the lookout for any unusual breakfast eggs, and I tend to leave nests alone. However, this concept speaks to the importance of having compassion for all creatures.
Furthermore, I thought about the level of compassion one has for him/herself. As the month of Elul progresses, I am thinking more and more of the
importance of having the same level of kindness toward myself that I have toward fellow humans and living things. It is easy to be bound by overwhelming thoughts of self-criticism. Rather than focus on things I feel are mistakes, I am focused this year on having compassion for my shortcomings, gratitude for my successes and an open heart to personal growth.
So, on this week and on every day, may we find the stren
gth to cultivate compassion and empathy for all living beings--and express that same level of kindness toward ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Newlywed! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. The website I linked (chabad.org) is a wonderful site. Although it does have a Chassidic/Orthodox focus, there are wonderful ideas for kids' projects, which could be useful for your new job. I've used various ideas from this website to prepare for the kids' Shabbat services I have occasionally done at my Chabad. They also have a lot of holiday stuff (especially with High Holidays around the corner). One other thing I love is that you can listen to and learn songs you might be able to sing at school. Shabbat Shalom! Say hello to The Dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks my little Vermicelli (Get it? Heh heh)

    ReplyDelete