Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

The Juicy Details



Oh yes, I did! I made my very own Green Juice at home tonight! I've enjoyed treating my taste-buds and body to the benefits of Green Juice at Fresh Abundance and tried out various bottled varieties. Lately, I've found myself longing to have access to its many benefits on a daily basis. I always feel so refreshed and energized when I drink fresh pressed vegetable and fruit juices, but buying bottled fresh juice, not from concentrate, not full of preservatives and added sugar, etc., is not so refreshing on my wallet. I thought for a while about investing in a juicer, but they are so gosh darn big, not to mention expensive. I already have a blender and a food processor. I decided to check out some recipes for Green Juice on this website. I had some sadly wilting kale at home, as well as a pear moving towards its expiration and some leftover apple slices. I had nothing to lose, so I set up my food processor.

I added:
  • 3 leaves of raw kale, with the thicker parts of the stem removed
  • 1 pear, with peel*, cut into chunks
  • about a small apple's worth of apple slices, with peel*
  • about 2 cups of purified water**
* I wanted to keep the peel on the fruits for the nutrients it contains, but I do think I may have to remove the peel at least from the apples next time...

** I FINALLY bought a filtered water pitcher! I can actually taste the difference in the water as I drink it, not to mention how iffy I feel about tap water given the levels of heavy metals and other toxins in various locations nearby.

So, into the food processor it all went. I pulsed it and ran it on a low setting for a minute or so to begin breaking down the kale and fruits. I had only added one cup of purified water at this point and realized I needed more. I was not quite satisfied
with the consistency and transferred the mixture to my blender.
I have a really low-end blender. It is my third blender in 7 years after breaking the first two (hence it being a cheaper model). It did a decent job on its puree setting incorporating the ingredients. However, I had something a bit thicker than I wanted, complete with a lot of peel chunks from the fruits. I decided to try running it through a sieve to separate the juice.
***Viola! Success!***
...a lovely glass of fresh, homemade Green Juice with leftovers to refridgerate for the morning--and all at well under the market price out there to purchase in a bottle or freshly prepared. I am greatly satisfied with the texture after straining the mixture, and I LOVE that I don't taste the kale, but rather just the delicate sweetness of the pear and apple juices. And I can appreciate that I still got the nutrients of the leafy green in me as well as the potential shock value from anyone who sees me pouring this stuff down the hatch!


om nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment