Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Friday, September 02, 2011

Suddenly September!

September has shown up seemingly out of nowhere this year! Just under 2 weeks ago, I was across the country visiting family on the east coast, still very much dilly dallying in the dog days of summer.

Visual evidenc
e of a few of the dogs involved in said dilly dallying

This trip included gatherings between 3 generations, family celebrations, and visits to some of my favorite Boston locations.

City view from the patio of the Institute of Contemporary Art

Original portrait of George Washington, as seen in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

original inspiration for the Smurf hat, also seen at the MFA

Two weeks flew by and I flew home (before Hurricane Irene hit, thank you very much!) and before I knew it, it was time to turn the calendar page and welcome September! I have a deep-rooted tendency to feel wistful at the close of summer, but in adulthood, that feeling lasts for only a moment because I love this time of year. It is one of the few times during which I welcome and even expect change. I look forward to the start of school--both teaching and being a student again myself. I look outward and take notice of the shorter days, the crisper evenings, the bolder glow of the moon--all signaling the coming of Autumn. As the Hebrew month of Elul begins (Elul began on Tuesday, August 30 this year), the final month in the Jewish calendar, I also look inward as Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year), Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) and Succot all approach. The month of Elul invites every Jew to take a personal inventory of the last year and the one to come. We are encouraged during this season to take time for personal reflection. The incredible phenomenon of this season is that even though there is a tendency for life outside to speed up--school beginning, holiday preparations, seasonal home and yard-work--there is an equal and opposite tendency for life within to slow down. I feel an almost gravitational pull to move a bit more slowly, a bit more intentionally--to savor the flavors of this season and nurture my own need for cleansing rejuvenation.
Lately I've also felt a strong pull back toward my Yoga mat. I pulled away somewhat from my practice during the summer months and found myself putting more focus into cycling, swimming and cardio exercise at the gym. I enjoy these activities and plan to continue incorporating them into my routine. I also miss the burst of energy of starting my morning with a short practice, or finishing out an evening class in the bliss of savasana. I am also inspired by this month's edition of Yoga Journal Magazine, which contained an article introducing readers to a 7 day gentle fall detox and cleanse. I am wary of any detox programs that last for longer than a week as well as any program that involves drastic changes to your diet and daily routine. For one thing, I don't think it is healthy or safe to do such things without the support of a professional. Additionally, drastic and long-term changes like that are rarely sustainable. From what I have read so far, this plan seems adjustable to meet my own personal needs and preferences and very workable within the time frame. You can click here to read about it and decide whether you'd like to participate on your own. The official start date is September 12, and it is free to access e-newsletters containing recipes, asana practices, meditations, etc.
However you choose to honor to changing of seasons this year, may we all find time within the hustle and bustle of busying schedules to stop, inhale the sweetness of change in the air, and embrace our own natural rhythms--whether they pull us to draw in and reflect, or to stretch outward and grow.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you! I love autumn, it is my favorite time of the year! I am not a Jew, but I have felt for years that new year is in autumn when the world shuts down, like at night, and it renews. I love dressing for autumn the best!

    This year my kids are all in school, but just when I thought I could focus on myself and maybe earn some money, two of my teenagers are to be homeschooled before *real* problems develop. Still, having teens at home doing school work is different than having little ones at home.

    I love your dog, Brody. Did you see PS I love you? There is a dog named Brody in that and it is a cute scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dressing for Autumn, too--perfect time for many cozy knits! :-)
    Ah, the joys of teenage-hood. I was not a "traditional" high school student either when I was a teen, though homeschooling was not an option. I managed to squeak by in my public high school, though it was not easy for anyone involved--including my parents.
    Brody is actually my "brother" (one of my mom's dogs--the black dog pictured above is my other "brother," Cooper). I think I shall have to rent that movie now!

    ReplyDelete