Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'? Pumpkin Soup!


I cannot in good faith mention my love of concocting soups this time of year without sharing this favorite Pumpkin Soup recipe, which I adapted from a friend who adapted it from a recipe she found online. I love pumpkin all year round, but this time of year, this versatile sweet or savory ingredient just seems to call out to me.
Since I failed to take a photo of my soup, I'll post this one of some knit & felted pumpkins I'd love to craft this year!

I made a batch of this soup a couple of weeks ago and still have 2 jars left over in my freezer!
Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (I use 3 or 4, but I love garlic!)
4-6 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 tsp salt (I use less & prefer sea salt or coarse Kosher salt)
2 small cans or one large can pumpkin puree (this would also be delicious with fresh-cooked and pureed pumpkin or some type of orange squash for that matter)
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
*I also add nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, or pumpkin pie spice mix to taste. I was out of parsley so I substituted oregano--you can spice & flavor it however you like!*
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I used fat free half & half)

The original recipe has you heat the veg. stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, parsley, spices and garlic all together & bring to a boil. I actually sauteed the onion & garlic in a bit of butter for a few minutes first and then added everything but the cream & brought it to a boil.
Reduce heat to low & simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Puree the soup in small batches. I have a hand-held immersion blender, but you can use a blender or food processor for this or omit the step all together.
Return to pan & bring to a boil again. Reduce heat & simmer again for another 30 minutes. Stir in heavy cream/half & half.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment