Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Sunday, June 17, 2012

(Belated/Early) Shabbos Schmooze: Preparing For Shabbos Without Going Meshuggeneh

I'd intended to write up this post last week, but due to a lot of excitement (a visit from family and my college graduation!) as well as some unplanned circumstances (my laptop power cord decided to retire early last week so I had to order a replacement), I never got around to it until today. I had such an amazing Shabbos and weekend with my honorable guests and a wonderful celebration of my long-awaited and hard-earned graduation.
Since my commencement was held on a Saturday, I took specific precautions to avoid breaking Shabbos. A good friend of mine took some lovely photos earlier last week.
For quite some time, Fridays would roll around and I'd feel like a chicken with its head cut off as I tried to run around and accomplish everything on a list of to-dos that didn't actually exist. That's when it hit me; I needed a list! For inspiration and in desperation, I found this incredible website, Organized Jewish Home, where I also found a large and invaluable collection of check lists, menus and more. From that, I created my own checklist that I revisit and tailor each week to prepare for the holiness and sanctity of Shabbat in the most calm and joyous way possible.*

*Not having access to said list this week was a wonderful opportunity to remember that my grandparents never had websites, blogs, or spreadsheets to help with Shabbos preparations and yet they accomplished everything that needed to be done with serenity, honor and their heads intact! Instead, I went about my list-making in the old fashioned way--with a pencil and paper!

So, without further ado, here is a very basic copy of my own checklist. Each person and family has different customs, traditions, and preferences; as such, your own checklist may be different from mine. Nonetheless, I've found this to be a useful tool and had a lot fewer Shabbosim spent in the dark (because I forgot to set lights) or with an awkward situation in which I cannot easily get into my refrigerator because the light will go on!



Shabbos Check-List

Cleaning/Organization

      Vacuum/Clean Floors
    Clean/prepare Bathroom
        Prepare Bed(s)
        Laundry 
 De-clutter/set up
LAST MINUTE PREP:       Put away electronics
        Set lights on timers or on/off
Set air conditioning/heating
Set up candlesticks, candles, tzedakah box, matches, etc.
Set out Shabbos clothes, shoes, etc.

 

Food Preparations

Shopping: pick up any last minute ingredients/items, flowers, etc
Following a menu template (like these), prepare/cook food
 Bake/defrost challah
LAST MINUTE PREP: Set hot water, crock-pot, coffee maker
Set table for Kiddush
Tape over light in refrigerator
                               
      Even though this all seems very basic and informal, it's so helpful when I get into the last hours before Shabbos begins. I do try very hard to complete some preparations each day of the week not only so I am prepared for Friday night, but also so that I am excited for it! This list can be modified and used to prepare for a Yom Tov, too. 

                 And if anyone was wondering, I survived not having my trusty list before last Shabbos after all...When Shabbos came, I *was* ready and even relaxed. I so enjoyed (over)feeding my visiting family members some of their favorite traditional recipes and even got some self-proclaimed pickier eaters to enjoy some new dishes! Off to eat some of the copious leftovers now and start preparing my menu for this coming Shabbos. Shavua tov--a good week to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment