Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Purim Projects, Part 1: Hamentaschen

Purim is just a week away and there is much to craft, create, concoct, and celebrate! I would like to dedicate this post entirely to one of my favorite parts of Purim: the hamentaschen! Hamentaschen (shown in the above photo taken from the internet and NOT my kitchen, unfortunately) are a jam/fruit-filled butter cookie traditionally eaten on Purim. They are shaped like a triangle to represent the shape of the hat worn by the infamous Purim story villain, Haman. While they are most often filled with fruit preserves, they can also be filled with poppy seed filling, chocolate/chocolate chips, sweet almond filling, Nutella, halva, caramel, you name it! Even the dough itself can be made in various ways, ranging from a crunchier cookie to a softer, chewier cookie.
Click here for a traditional recipe for hamentaschen. This is my first Purim eating an entirely gluten-free diet and I don't want to miss out! I will be experimenting this afternoon with doctoring up a gluten-free pie crust mix to create a suitable cookie dough.
Kids also love getting in on the fun of making hamentaschen. One way to involve them in the process is to whip up a batch of peanut butter playdough that they can roll out, cut into circles, fill with jam or jelly and pinch into tasty, triangular, P.B. & J Hamentaschen!

Peanut Butter & Jelly Hamentaschen Peanut Butter Playdough Recipe
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Once you mix the ingredients, you can store this in an airtight container or plastic zippered bag with the air squeezed out. Kids can use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Using a 3 or 4-inch circle-shaped cookie cutter (or cup), they can cut out circles. Have them spoon a small dollop of jelly or jam into the center and form into triangles.
For directions on forming those nifty little triangles and an overall hamentaschen instructions, I always turn to my good friends on Sesame Street. I've posted a video on my blog for your viewing pleasure.

Hamentaschen Costume
I still haven't officially settled on a particular costume idea, but I remember a costume my mother made for my sister and me one Purim. She used poster board & cellophane to create hamentaschen costumes! The costumes in these photos are adorable--who knew there was a market for hamentaschen costumes now?! (Who knew that market runs in the $30 range??) Needless to say, I'm off to the local dollar store...

I also have some work to do before I get my mishloach manot ready to be mailed or delivered! I especially loved this idea for presenting a plate of hamentaschen in the shape of a Mogen David (Star of David). I'd love to tell you more specifics, but that would most definitely ruin the surprise for some of my friends & family who read my blog! However, you can follow up on my next Purim Projects post, which will focus on mishloach manot. Until then, it's Adar, be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment