Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Friday, April 23, 2010

What's Cookin'



Come, join me in my kitchen, and see What's Cookin'! This week's concoctions (from the top, down):

  • Pasta Primavera in a Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • A Sweet Curried Quinoa Salad
  • and, yes, more Hummus!
Pasta Primavera in a Balsamic Vinaigrette
Ingredients:

  • Gluten free rice pasta
  • Olive oil
  • Half a yellow onion, chopped
  • One zucchini, cut into small chunks
  • One bunch of asparagus, cut into small chunks
  • Seemingly excessive amounts of garlic, minced
  • Dried basil
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Sea salt
  • A splash of lemon juice
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Chick peas
I didn't measure anything. I just cooked up the pasta (rather, overcooked the pasta), sauteed the veggies in olive oil, added the basil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar, and obsessively tasted and tested and added until it was mmm, mmm...gooooooood! I grated some fresh Parmesan cheese to top it with, but decided I prefer it cold as a pasta salad the next day.

Sweet Curried Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

  • Two or three carrots, chopped in small chunks
  • 1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • About a cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • about half a cup of raisins (I used golden raisins and regular, boring raisins)
  • Random amounts of curry powder, freshly ground pepper, a dash of salt, dash cayenne pepper, turmeric, ground ginger, ground cumin, and pumpkin pie spice
  • Chick peas

I cooked the carrots and onion in a bit of olive oil until they were tender, but not too mushy since they would continue cooking when I added the liquid. I added the quinoa and orange juice and brought it to a boil before reducing to a simmer. I added said random amounts of spices and the raisins. At the very end I added a can of chick peas.

Hummus

Ingredients

  • 1 can of chick peas with liquid*
  • Seemingly excessive amounts of minced garlic
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • More tahini than you think you need
  • More lemon juice than you think you need
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • A dash of cayenne pepper
  • Paprika
  • Dried parsley

I never make my hummus the same way twice. For instance *this time I had a total brain fart and forgot to add the chick peas with the liquid. I added all of the other ingredients and turned on the food processor. I was promptly attacked by chick peas that flew out the bottom shoot, defied the common laws of gravity, and repeatedly pelted me in the head. Then I added some water. Much better. After the hummus had reached my desired consistency, I put it in a container, drizzled some olive oil on top and sprinkled some additional paprika and dried parsley on top.


When I finally made the decision to revamp my diet for the sake of preventing chronic migraines, I was convinced cutting foods out of my diet (like gluten) would significantly reduce my varied repertoire. After all, I'd no longer be able to open up any old cookbook and pick out a recipe, right? I was also convinced that I would have to spend much more money on groceries to purchase "specialty" foods and mostly organic products. What I've learned over these last months is that the opposite is true.
Shopping became far more practical and enjoyable. When you aren't gazing down aisles and aisles of processed foods, there are a lot fewer decisions to make. I joined two local co-ops. I get my organic produce in bulk bi-weekly for $35 (and the box is HUGE). I was spending a lot more than that to pick out non-organic, rather un-fresh produce several times a week at the local grocery chains. Cooking became more enjoyable and rewarding. I am not bound to cookbooks anymore. In fact, I realized how unvaried my "repertoire" was. I had a few rather bland recipes I rotated over and over again. I have more confidence in my Kitchen Adventures. I love experimenting with different flavors, textures, and aromas. Now, my Kitchen Adventures appeal to all of my senses as I experience the sights, sounds, tastes, aromas and textures in my kitchen. I experience the fruits of my labor and allow my entire being to be nourished, grateful, and satisfied. Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment