Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Monday, February 21, 2011

True Confessions of the Human Kind


I have a confession to make...
I am human. In fact, I have been human for my entire life.
While I am at it, I may as well also mention that I am not perfect, in fact, sometimes I am not even close to being perfect.
(What is perfect?)
Sometimes I am sick. Sometimes I am tired, exhausted even. My body has an incredible and God-given ability to tell me this. I have an incredible and human-like ability to ignore these messages. Sometimes I am worried or sad or angry. My soul has an amazing and God-given knack for feeling all kinds of emotions, but I have an amazing and human-like knack for only expressing the ones I think are "pretty," "neat," and "tidy."
(Which emotions are pretty, neat or tidy?)
I compare myself to other women. I have a lot of compassion and empathy for these women; I admire them. They are single or they are married. They are tall, short, thin, curvy... Maybe they live alone. Maybe they live with children and families. They are younger. They are older. They are professionals, students, moms, teachers, healers. They have many talents. Their homes are orderly and clean. They look neat and put-together every day and all day--even when they have been up with infants all night, raising children, working 40+ hour workweeks outside the home--and/or 24-hour, seven-day-per-week shifts in the home! They not only function in the many hats they wear and roles they play, they do so with grace and charisma! When one of these every day heroines confides in me that she feels tired, messy, disorganized--imperfect, I don't have any harsh judgments. If anything, I admire her more!
Imagine if it were OK to be messy or disorganized. Imagine if it were OK to be imperfect.

But what would that mean? Would it mean we are broken? Less-than? Not enough? And who gets to decide that?
So, yes, I feel tired. I feel sick and sometimes struggle not-so-gracefully to become well. I am sometimes messy, disorganized and--if you're really lucky, I've let you see you that in me. Because, you know what? I am whole. I am complete. I am human and today, right now, in this moment--that is more than enough.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of my heroines you know? A totally amazing empowered spiritual and just all around wonderful (and omg attractive) woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jaspenelle, that means a lot coming from one of the heroines I had in mind upon writing that post! :o)

    ReplyDelete