Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Homemade Stove-top Granola Recipe


I don't usually post twice in one day, but I had to share this recipe for Homemade Maple Vanilla Stovetop Granola, adapted from this recipe at allrecipes.com. I've spent the last several weeks being indecisive about what kind of granola to purchase. I love granola on top of yogurt for breakfast in the morning (or even an afternoon snack), but I have to be careful when I buy it that it is gluten free and does not contain wheat products. My options are rather slim and really pricey. I recently finished one I particularly liked that I purchased from the bulk bins at a local health food store--but, it was expensive and I wondered if I could possibly make my own.
And I can! And so can you!

Maple Vanilla Stove-top Granola


Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups rolled oats (NOT instant)
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

  1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the rolled oats and cook, stirring, until toasted and lightly browned. This should take about 5 minutes.
  2. Pour the toasted oats onto a cookie sheet. Meanwhile, in the same pan, melt the butter and stir in the honey, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla. Cook and stir until bubbly then add the toasted oats back to the pan. Stir to coat and continue cooking and stirring for about another 5 minutes. Pour back onto the cookie sheet to cool.
  3. When cool, put the granola in an airtight container to store. If you would like, you could mix in nuts or dried fruits at this point.
Now I will enjoy a crunchy granola atop my yogurt tomorrow morning made just the way I like it. I know for sure it doesn't have any gluten or wheat in it and it was a fraction of the price to make at home that it would be to purchase at a store.

No comments:

Post a Comment