Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shabbat in my Home: The Good, The Holy, and The Less Than Perfect


Note: to honor the holiness and sanctity of Shabbat, no photos were taken from sundown on Friday until after nightfall and Havdalah on Saturday.

S
everal weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, I decided to be brave and capture on camera the process and occasional misadventures of preparing my home for Shabbat. I, of course, had the intention to post these photos soon afterward (as I do not use my computer, camera, etc. during the holy Shabbat), but never got around to it. So now, as I prepare to go off grid again for the second Yom Tov days of Pesach and Shabbat, I've decided to virtually welcome you into my home for a Shabbos tour.

Preparations definitely involve a lot of work in the kitchen. Cooking is not permitted during Shabbat, so all of the food must be prepared ahead of time. It is a mitzvah to eat and enjoy decadent meals on Shabbat. I save my favorite recipes for this time, like my family's famous Sweet Potato Casserole.

Best laid plans and intentions to manage time well don't always work out. It's important to remember that Shabbat will come at sundown whether or not you are "ready." This means, on more weeks than I'd like to admit, my sink is full of dirty dishes before Shabbat even begins...



...and the trash never made it out to the dumpster...















...but it's nothing a nice tablecloth can't hide for the next 25 hours!







Shhh...you can't see the garbage bag under there and neither can I!








This is a needlepoint my late grandmother handcrafted. May her memory be blessed! I am not sure when she made this, but it once hung in their home and she gave it to me to hang in my home when I was in my early twenties and first taking on more observance.
Looking at such special family heirlooms--like this needlepoint, or the Chumash my mother received on her first trip to Israel when she was 15 years old--connects me not only to my family members who live far away, but also to those family members who have passed on. It is a heartwarming reminder every Shabbat of why I go to such lengths to keep this time holy, and what my ancestors had to go through in order that I may have the privilege and right to do so.



With Shabbos nearly here, and all the de-cluttering and cleaning done in the living room, I am already looking forward to spending some quality time with some of the books on that shelf! I keep my schoolwork out of sight in order to keep it out of mind as much as possible. This will be a time to rest,
rejuvenate, and study things pertaining to Judaism.





Even as the clock is ticking away with much yet to be done, a sense of peacefulness begins to fall over my home...













In the last minutes before Shabbat comes in, I tend to some of the miscellaneous details, like making sure the switch that allows the light to go on and off in my fridge is taped down, the coffee maker is set, that all the lights I want on are on, those I want off are off, and those that have timers to turn them on and off during Shabbat are set.
Oh yeah, I'd better get myself ready, too! Shabbat is a time to dress in your best--even if you aren't going to shul. We are about to welcome the Sabbath Queen and one should dress as though she/he will be in the presence of royalty. With all the time spent cooking and cleaning, self-care often comes last. Inevitably, the shower taken before Shabbat is not a long, hot, relaxing one, and a "good" week is when I have time to apply mascara to both eyes!

My Shabbos table is set. This week I splurged and bought some fresh flowers to add to the beauty and delight of the holy Shabbat. My tzedakah box is also on the table. It is a mitzvah to give extra charity before lighting the Shabbos candles.
Candle-lighting is an important mitzvah especially for Jewish women. This is also an auspicious time to ask for special blessings and personal prayers. The dirty dishes and semi-hidden trash bag shall wait for 25 hours, and truthfully, I will allow myself to forget they are even there for that time. I will relish in the restfulness and tranquility of this holy time. Each week, it seems to hit a much needed "reset" button in my soul...

***insert screeching fast-forward noises***

After Shabbat ends at nightfall on Saturday evening, I will honor its departure with the prayers and rituals of havdalah. A special candle is lit. Some of these can be quite ornate and beautiful, but any candle with at least 2 wicks is fine. A kiddush cup is filled to overflowing with wine or grape juice. We honor the departure of Shabbat and the entrance of the week. We separate the holy from the mundane. We bless this separation, the fire and light of the candle, the wine/grape juice, and the sweet aroma of the bisamim, or spices.



This box was a gift from my father. He purchased it when he was traveling in Portugal once and I've used it for several years for the purpose of storing bisamim.


The whole cloves that are in here are actually all that is left from a purchase I made about 6 years (and 4 moves) ago while visiting my grandparents in New York. I don't believe the spice shop I bought it at is still open, but I recall shopping with my Grandma and Grandpa that day. We stopped in just after leaving the Judaica bookstore where they bought me my first siddur. I am amazed every week at how strong the cloves still smell!
Shavuah tov, a gut voch, a good week to all!




So now you've all seen it. The good, the holy and the less than perfect of Shabbat preparations in my home. On that note, I need to go prepare for Yom Tov & Shabbat! May those who are observing enjoy the remainder of Pesach and may you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment