Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Friday, April 20, 2012

Shabbos Shmooze: Shlissel Challah


Before the first Shabbos after Pesach, there is a special segulah (auspicious action) for parnasah (good fortune/livelihood) to bake fresh challot. This unique tradition is common to Ashkenazi families and is called Shlissel Challah, with shlissel being the Yiddish word for "key." Because many Jews associate Pesach with prosperity, families have taken on the minhag for generations to bake challah this week in the shape of a key or, alternatively, with a key baked inside.
Since I am gluten-intolerant, I often had to pass up the delicious challah at Shabbos meals. That is until a dear friend of mine perfected a recipe for gluten-free oat challah! She is a talented cook and baker, and her tried and true recipe contains proportionately enough oat flour to qualify for a proper blessing over bread. Up until last night, I'd greatly enjoyed eating the benefits of her labor, but in honor of this being the week to bake shlissel challah, I baked my very own for the first time! I've not yet tried it and won't until I eat my Shabbos meal this evening, but it looks amazing, smells amazing, and I am happy share the photogenic results!

Before adding eggs, they are checked for blood spots, as any impurity would make the egg unkosher.
All the ingredients are gathered together. The yeast is busy getting to work in very warm water along with sugar and agave syrup.

I'll bet you haven't seen one of these old fashioned mixers in years! I just found one at a local shop in town & LOVE it!


Once my arm was ready to fall off from the hand-mixer, I moved on to a good ol' fashioned spoon. The gluten free dough is very sticky!
Don't forget the key--this is shlissel challah!
Mini loaf-tins seemed to be best for this dough. It is too sticky a dough to braid or form.
It looks (and smells) amazing! I can't wait to make motzi on it by my Shabbos meal!



Perhaps, with my friend's permission, I shall share the recipe at a later date. Shabbat Shalom, a Gut Shabbos & may you all have a wonderful weekend. And for those who partook in the baking of shlissel challah this year, may the results be propitious in both flavor and finance!

No comments:

Post a Comment