Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Monday, January 10, 2011

Just Another Mindful Monday...

One Monday morning while riding the city bus, I overheard two passengers chatting with one another. The young man was talking about how early it was to be up on a Monday morning, discussing his desire for more coffee, and anticipating with dread the long days that would follow. It sounded a lot like the thoughts that were going through my own mind that early morning. That is when the other passenger involved in their conversation said: "They say the way you start out your Monday morning is how you will go through the rest of your week." My racing negative thoughts came to a complete halt, and as the bus continued on its route, my attitude toward my day, my week and even that very moment was rerouted and took off toward a more positive direction.
"A skillful, balanced approach is helpful for one's physical and emotional health, and it applies to one's spiritual growth as well."

-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama


It's another Monday and another great opportunity to celebrate Mindfulness. As I embark on Day 1 of the 21 Day Yoga Challenge, I feel empowered to stretch my practice a bit further, right off the mat. As I stretch my body, I feel it's just as important to stretch my mind and spirit. This is where Mindfulness comes in...

Mindfulness involves bringing your attention intentionally to the present moment, and noticing or being aware of thoughts, sensations, and emotions without judgment or elaboration. Today mindfulness is commonly used as a therapeutic method in the field of clinical psychology. These methods were derived from ancient Buddhist meditation practices.

* see a more detailed definition and description on Wikipedia


Today as I moved through my morning, afternoon, and now evening, I noticed my reluctance to begin Asana practice. My Yoga mat is still tightly rolled in its bag. I received my first email newsletter from Yoga Journal's 21 Day Challenge and there is a link to a 45 minute "energizing" Vinyasa video. I am feeling quite a bit better from my cold, but still feeling fatigued and lethargic. I found myself judging my reluctance--even labeling it as "failure." However, I stopped my thought process and looked instead with mindfulness and curiosity. Why am I feeling reluctant or hesitant? I realized the idea of an intense and "energizing" practice doesn't feel right at this time when I am still feeling fatigued and exhausted. I am not a failure for listening to my body or thoughts--that is precisely what a yogic lifestyle is all about to me. This evening, I will continue my practice of Mindfulness. Instead of diving into a 45 minute Vinyasa-style flow session, I am going to unroll my mat in my bedroom and flow into a restful state with a short evening practice from one of my home practice DVDs.

The Dalai Lama's wise words ring true for me. In achieving inner well-being and overall health, balance and skill are essential. Balance for me means observing the messages my body is sending, and making skillful and educated choices on how to proceed. With mindfulness I can observe the thoughts and feelings I am having and treat them--and myself--with the same level of compassion and patience I offer to others.

Hope you all had a Magnificent, Mindful Monday!






I just LOVE this photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment