Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How-to Tuesday: Setting Up a Space for Serenity




When I am attending a Yoga class at a scheduled time in a scheduled location, I am very likely to follow through with my practice. After all, I would not get to the gym or studio and not participate. However, it is more difficult to keep my practice going when I am at home and not in a group setting. Part of that is the fact that my mat, props, books and DVDs have been neatly tucked away in their respective bags and shelves. I have been to homes where entire rooms are devoted to Yoga practice. This is a nice thought, but living in an apartment does not provide for that kind of space. I can, however, devote a part of my living space to Yoga and meditation practice. With my mat unrolled and out, my blocks and straps accessible, my DVDs and books all together, and a little bit of creativity, I can create a space that not only gives me the physical capability of doing asana practice, but is also inviting and emanates a feeling of calm.
Even if you do not do Yoga or meditate, having a Serenity Space (as I call it) can be very beneficial. Perhaps it is a corner of a room, or a chair, your desk or a hobby/craft area. Even if the space is not yours alone and you share it with roommates, family, partners and/or children, it is a space that is specifically for the purpose of enjoyment, peacefulness and relaxation.
Think back to when you were a child. Did you have a special spot you frequently went to when you were feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or even just for play and fun? Maybe it was a spot in your yard. Or maybe you enjoyed using cushions and blankets to create a fort or tent.







Hey, remember doing this as a kid?




As a child, I had that innate ability to create a Serenity Space in pretty much any location using (or not using) pretty much whatever was at hand. Now as an adult, I have fallen victim to the pressures of materialism and the chaos of the resulting clutter. Filling up my apartment is no problem, it's delegating the space and creating any sense of serenity in it that is a challenge. In this process of simplifying and balancing my life, donating and upcycling some of the materials I have acquired in the last 7 years has become an exercise in both creativity and letting go. Lucky for me, I consider myself a creative person! I like a challenge, and I love a nice arts & craft project.
Here are some of my personal pointers for creating a Serenity Space in your own home. The aim is to make use of what you already have. Challenge yourself to think of new ways to use old things. No matter how large (i.e.: a whole room) or small (i.e.: an old lawn chair) the space you have to work with, may you come to sit comfortably in that space and in your own skin.

Before you begin...
  • In creating a Serenity Space, the first order of business is to think about what that means. What will the space be used for? Reading or writing? Creating music or listening to music? Art? A hobby? Yoga, meditation, or prayer? It could encompass some or all of these things or any other ideas you may have.
  • Will the space be yours alone or a space that is shared?
  • What types of things create a feeling of serenity for you? For example: Certain photos, pictures, paintings can encourage positive thoughts or memories. Perhaps a certain scent makes you feel peaceful. Maybe particular textures and colors create a feeling of warmth and comfort for you.
  • Depending on how you intend to use the space (i.e., meditation versus reading or writing), what kind of light will be necessary?
Creating the Calm...
  • Prepare: For me, since my space was rather cluttered, my first step was to clean it up! Bagging up items I no longer had a use for to send to donation was incredibly liberating. Because my clutter was creating a feeling of inner (and outer) chaos, I wanted my space to be more simple and sparse.
  • Fabric: The use of fabric in my space has created both visual and physical warmth. Extra throw blankets and pillows/cushions make for a cozy sitting space and great props when I am modifying poses in my Yoga practice. I used an old sarong and an old shower curtain to create a double layered "curtain" to cover my bedroom window. The sarong is navy blue and helps the space transition into a dark room for sleeping. However, pinned up during the day, the white mesh shower curtain provides an element of privacy and warmth while still letting some natural light into the room. In the past I have struggled with a terrible habit of collecting what I called UFPs--Unfinished Projects. The worst case of this habit has been my collection of UFPs that are actually USPs--Un-started Projects. In that, I have a lengthy collection of fabric (pun intended) both new and secondhand that has never been turned into a blanket, skirt, apron, or you name it... I took a large strip of a colorful cotton batik I purchased at Goodwill once to make who-knows-what, and using some thumb tacks in matching colors that I had on hand, I attached it to my bedroom ceiling. I'd never thought of using fabric on the ceiling before, but it softens the space, draws in a sense of warmth, and was a great way to cover up some non-glow-in-the-dark stars a former resident had painted up there!
  • The Walls "Help, there are walls in my apartment!" I feel like that every time I move into a new space. There is that period of time after moving in that they are completely blank and naked. Then there is that awkward period of time when I cover them with EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to get rid of the blankness and nakedness. And Then I find my balance and middle ground. For me, less is more. Hanging a few of my favorite pieces of art is about as much as I am willing to commit to on a semi-permanent level. As for the rest, I am LOVING the removable wall stickers that have become widely available. I found some great ones at a dollar store of all places--and they really are removable! (I know this, because being indecisive and slightly obsessive, I have already removed and moved them around several times--all without any damage to the paint, wall or sticker.) With something like this, if you are like me and have trouble committing to one particular theme or color scheme for a room, you have the leeway to make each wall unique, to change what you decide five minutes later you don't like, and not to have to worry about how much money and time it cost you to paint that wall electric lime in the first place! If even this level of commitment to decor feels too permanent, my next favorite idea is to hang up a bulletin board. You can either purchase a framed board or cork board or even build your own depending on how handy you are. With cork board and tacks, 2 weeks from now when you decide that hanging your entire collection of fortune cookie papers wasn't such a great idea, you won't have such a hassle with getting them down and starting fresh!
  • Gadgets, Gizmos and other Chatchkes As for the accessorizing process, I still feel best when I keep it simple. Having less to create clutter with better ensures that your Serenity Space won't turn into a Clutter Cavern. Those sets of fold-out tray tables that are often sold in drug stores and secondhand shops are very useful. I've had a set since I first rented my own apartment in 2005. They are rather weathered, but reusing an old cloth place-mat or fabric covers that up in a breeze and they are a great environment for holding some special photos, candles, vases, etc. Another great fixture is the ever-useful, always popular basket. They are great for storing smaller items (straps, blocks and small Yoga props, pads, notebooks and writing utensils, etc.).
  • Sit back, relax, and Be My first evening in my Serenity Space involved a PM Yoga practice and short meditation. It was my first venture back into Asana practice and my first day of the 21 Day Yoga Challenge. Of course while I was sitting there, thoughts crossed my mind of what I would like to add or change about that space. I welcomed and observed those thoughts. The beauty of this being my space is that like all things in life, it is impermanent and can change and adapt.
* Sadly, my little camera seems to have met its early demise so there are currently no photos of my Serenity Space

No comments:

Post a Comment