Pages

Blah Blah Blahg

A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of blah blah blah....

Monday, December 13, 2010

A Little Ray of Sun is Shining in Spokane!


It's December in Spokane. That means potential for 2 feet of snow one day, rain the next, any combination of the two in between, and a great deal of fog! This afternoon as I was walking toward the downtown area, I passed an old warehouse building on 2nd Avenue, but took a double take when I saw the signs for Sun People Dry Goods Co.. I had read about the upcoming opening of this eco-conscious, locally owned shop a few weeks back and noticed lights on, a grand-opening sign in the parking lot and the flashing "OPEN" sign in the window. I had no idea what to expect, but to say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement!

This time of year, I am not in the garden so much and often forget about the composting bins in the yard. It is a season of excess in so many ways. Holiday shopping is in full swing, and sometimes it seems like less of a hassle to just "not worry" about bringing my own bags. Cooking, baking and cleaning the house often seems like less of a hassle if I just use a few paper towels, napkins, tin foil, or disposable plastic containers. In the unpredictable weather conditions, an unpredicted stop at a cafe may find me sipping away at a latte from a paper cup rather than one of my travel mugs. It's frighteningly easy to justify all of these little actions, but they accumulate--and little by little, many of the other little actions I've taken over the last year to become more ecologically conscious in my home and on the go become obsolete.
Walking into Sun People Dry Goods today shed a little ray of refreshing light on just how little energy it really takes to keep some reusable bags in my purse, to use a rag or old towel for those messy home and kitchen projects, or to remember those compost bins out in the yard. It doesn't seem like a lot can come of one person making one choice not to create waste, but seeing a business geared at encouraging those choices on a community level reminds me just how much difference one person with one Green idea really can make.
This locally-owned shop is just starting out but already sports a wide variety of eco-smart hardware materials, small appliances, gardening products, home-care goods, and sustainable gifts for folks of all ages. I think I drooled as I gazed at the shelves of kitchenware that any environmentally-conscious cook can only dream of! (I did walk out with an adorable set of salt & pepper shakers and a stainless steel oil mister that I'd been looking to purchase for while since I avoid using aerosol sprays in my cooking.) I really loved the beautifully crafted cloth napkin sets and was so excited to see that they were selling the same organic cotton prints by the yard as well! It was also really great to see so many environmentally friendly products for children and infants. I loved the handmade Waldorf-style dolls, gardening kits, and selection of literature for children about everything from cooking to gardening to recycling and not wasting. I especially loved the kids' t-shirts that read "I recycle my temper tantrums!" (Now if only they made one in my size...)

I left the shop tonight feeling a renewed sense of motivation to get my Green back on! It is so exciting to see more locally-owned and environmentally conscious businesses sprouting up around Spokane. Sun People Dry Goods Co. is not just a business that is friendly to the environment--the staff are friendly and knowledgeable as well and the prices are friendly on the pocket book. I look forward to stopping in again soon to see the shop evolve and partake in some of the workshops they will be offering to the community.

To see for yourself what's going on at Sun People Dry Goods, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment